Thursday, September 9, 2010

THE PRODIGAL AND HIS BROTHER

The Prodigal Son has become the poster child for the Christian concerning failure and forgiveness. For parents with wayward children his story brings hope and promise. For the wondering child of God it has become the template of restoration and peace. But so often we overlook another very important character in this redemption story, the Prodigal’s brother, the faithful son.

I must tell you that I can so relate to the Prodigal, yet I can evenly identify with his brother, the one who stayed at home and served his father faithfully. Please don’t misunderstand me, despite my failures, flaws and my profligate prodigal past and without my steady pursuit of Christ and the grace and mercy that I receive on a daily basis, I am simply a pitiful picture of a bad kid struggling to be good!

The scripture does not take us any further with the Prodigal’s brother than when he told his father, “Look! All these years now I have been slaving for you and never disobeyed yours orders … Luke 15:29, and he also noted in verse 30 that he did not even get a pig party for it….and his father simply replied…‘Son, you have always been with me, and all that is mine is your….but we had to celebrate and be glad, because this brother of yours was dead and is alive again, he was lost and is found. Luke 15:31-32.

Yet when I observe the attitude of the faithful son I am sadly reminded how easy it is to have that sense of entitlement and insistence upon God for His approval for my faithfulness to Him in what little I do commit to Him. In the advanced stages of this pride and bitterness or “Christian Humbug” attitude, I can loose my joy and the sweetness that Jesus brings into my life if I do not surrender the rotten old stinky attitude of pity and pride. Like myself, anyone who seeks to be faithful and who is willing to learn from their sad story, there is hope in self-examination and repentance.

Is it not odd how in the scriptures as well as real life, how often times instead of celebrating that losers can make a turn around and flock to the One person that can help them, we grumble when they are accepted with open arms… and treat them as if they are an enemy of the very cross that represents both the wayward and helps the obedient one stay faithful and true.

There is redemption and forgiveness for those that have lost their way. Around every corner in every book in the precious scriptures...God is calling us home.
I tell you that there is rejoicing in the presence of the angels of God over one sinner who repents. Luke 15:10…let us rejoice as well!

Let us stay faithful to God, but let us not get suckered into thinking that God owes us recognition for it….because He does not!

Rejoicing over you today,
Love you,
Bren

No comments:

WHAT SIN DOES IN A BELIEVER'S LIFE - PART 2

Romans 6 tells every Christian very clearly how they should live after they receive Christ into their lives. ”What shall we say then? Shall ...