Tuesday, June 12, 2012

LIVING IN AND LEAVING YOUR LO DEBAR


PART 1  LIVING IN LO DEBAR

If you are even somewhat familure with desert life, then I am sure that like many others, you equate it with being, a hostile environment that conspires against all human life. When you think about the desert, more than likely, the first thing that comes to mind is usually that of enormous heat, a lack of water and desolation. I would like to share with you a story out of the second book of Samuel,  about a young man that was rescued from such a place. This young man was the grandson of a great King, his name was Mephibosheth, the son of Prince Jonathan, and grandson of King Saul. He was five years old when his father and grandfather fell in the Battle of Mount Gilboa. Upon the hearing of this calamity, the child's nurse fled with the boy from Gibeah, the royal residence, and stumbled as she hurried to flee, dropping him on the ground. His falling to the ground left Mephibosheth permanently paralyzed from his waist down. From Gibeah, he was carried to the land of Gilead, where he and his nurse found refuge for many years in the house of Machir at Lo-Debar. The name, Lo Debar meant, place of no pasture, no hope, total desolation, so you can imagine the kind of place it was. Surely, Mephibosheth’s nurse thought that no one would ever look for him there and for a while, no one did. 

Years before Jonathan’s death, David had covenanted with him, that after he had become king, David would always show kindness to his household and that Jonathan's family would never be cut off. Years later, after King David had subdued all the adversaries of Israel, he began to think about the family of Jonathan, and the covenant that he had made with his dear friend. He asked some of his advisers one day if there may be anyone left of the house of Saul, for Jonathan’s sake, that He could show kindness to. The only relative left that his advisors found out about, was one of Jonathan’s son, who was crippled and hiding out in the desolate place of Lo Debar. David told them to find Mephibosheth and bring him to him immediately. When the King's men came to Mephibosheth door and told him that King David was summoning him, one can only imagine the fear that struck his heart. Was it not enough that he was exiled in one of the most remote desolate places on earth, but even there he now, was no longer safe. He was afraid and unsure of what was about to happen to his very life. However, what choice did he have, surrounded by armed men, representatives of the King himself, he had no choice but to go back with them and face whatever was waiting for him, upon the Kings spoken command. Little was he aware and did he know, that the thing that would bring him out of hiding was grace, not harm. Absolute grace from the very thing that he had feared the most, the King’s own hand. Instead of death, he had received a new life, in a way that he had not known since childhood. At last he would be able to sit at the King’s table once again and enjoy the benefits of being an heir to a King. No more would he have to live in Lo De Bar. King David even restored to Mephibosheth the land that belonged to his fathers. What a great picture of grace. David did for Mephibosheth what Mephibosheth could not do for himself. What a beautiful picture of what Christ has done for us, if we will simply  come to Him as He summons us out, of our Lo Debar. Because of a promise to his friend Jonathan, Mephibosheth was restored to what the sin of his grandfather had taken from him. He was the son of a King’s son, yet through his own making Saul brought much grief to his household.



PART 2  LEAVING YOUR LO DEBAR

The name, Lo Debar meant, place of no pasture, no hope, total desolation. You may have experienced living in a place like Lo Debar. Like Mephibosheth, in last week’s devotion, you too may be hiding out, living in a spiritual desolate place. Maybe you are there because of a failing relationship, the shame of a divorce, or abuse, maybe some type of financial problem, or maybe just some wrong choices that you have made. But, one thing for sure is, that everyone at some point and time has been or will be, forced to make a visit to a place like Lo Debar. And there, each person will be allowed to experience the great benevolence and grace of a King who cares for them and is calling them out of hiding. So many times we suffer more from what the devil would have us to believe than the actual truth in a matter. When we fail to forgive others or ourselves for something that was done to us or that we have done, we become trapped in our own minds, not by the wrong that others have done to us, but by the unwillingness to let it go and allow the grace of God to do in us what it is meant to do. Our fear over shadows what we know down deep inside us to be truth and we exchange truth for a lie. Not only does Christ offer redemption for those that are wanting to leave their Lo Debar, He also offers hope for the one who keeps returning there because they are unstable in their walk with Christ refusing to cut the cord that binds them to that desert place, even though Jesus Himself, shows up at the door to retrieve them by His own hand. Yet in order to leave that desolate place of fear and hiding, we must always be willing to let go, to leave that which we are holding on to, behind. It cannot come with us to the green pastures of peace and refuge at the King’s table. For at the King’s table, there is only room for those that are forgiven and those that have forgiven. If we dare try and bring unforgiveness with us, we will not be allowed to stay.  

Sometimes, those who claim to know Christ as Redeemer and Savior can experience a psychological Lo Debar through their own making. How long and how desolate their experience is, depends on how intimately they will choose to know God deeper and move quickly through their desert experience. A woman or man betrays a relationship and everything they had believed about that relationship all of a sudden is gone; because of one incident, one mistake. Was their whole relationship just a lie, just a big put on? Where do they go now? Every place they shared together is now an uncomfortable place. Every friend can seem almost like an enemy. Once where laughs had filled the room now are distant memories, uncomfortable, and suspect. Stuck in Lo Debar, they cry out to God, “Is this how a child of Yours is meant to live?”  and often times they play the blame game by degrading and pointing fingers. They forget that hurting people tend to hurt each other. They degrade the other to make themselves look and feel better. Yet God holds them just as accountable, for their sin of unforgiveness. Friend, may I tell you that God is so serious about our unwillingness to forgive. As a matter of fact His word tells us that unless we forgive, we ourselves will not be forgiven.  As they seek forgiveness from one another and with God, then the peace that they are searching for in their desert will come quickly. In fact, forgiving is the only way to get peace. To keep peace we must embrace it and hold it tight, always being mindful of what happens to our joy when we fail to pursue that peace. If one of them refuses to forgive or get the proper help needed to work through their pain and do whatever it takes to get out of Lo Debar… they will continue to revisit that desert place, that will only bring more pain.

May I tell you the truth sweet friend, if you are feeling like this today, you have but one choice to make in order to get help, to get out of your spiritual desert place! That choice is up to you! In order to get to the other side though I must warn you… you must be willing to let go of what you are holding on to, because “that thing” is keeping you longer than you want or need to stay. Do you think for a minute that your sin holds any less weight before God than someone else’s sin. Maybe you are beating yourself up because you were the one who made the mistake. Still, either way, you must be willing to see your situation from God’s perspective. Once you do that, and are willing to let go, you can then take hold of the promise of freedom to once again love and be restored not only to another, but to God Himself.  I know personally what it is like to feel both trapped and lost. It has happened in my life enough times that I am learning to be quick in my letting go, so that I can take hold of the grace that God has extended to me in many unusual and unexpected ways. I also suspect that I will feel the pull toward Lo Debar again and again before my journey has ended here. But until then I will run every time as I see on the horizon the outskirts of Lo Debar in my life and will do my best to turn and run the other way.  You see the thing that makes the difference for me now is that I know that He knows the way out of Lo Debar and I know the way to Him. Run to Him friend, He is calling you out now!

Hold Fast,
Bren

43 comments:

Shary said...

Brenda,
I just saw this post and it caught my eye. My husband recently spoke on this very thing. If you'd like to hear his message you can go to http://www.lifecc.us/#/worship. Look for 2/3/2013 LIVE to show Kindness.

Shary Green

Anonymous said...

Such a powerfull message! Touched deeply. Dealing with someone who is in that place but cant see that tbey are. Your message will help me to minister without the person feeling like they are being judged. Thank you!

Anonymous said...

I'm coming out of my Lodebar in Jesus name.

Anonymous said...

Lord I need you. I am praying my way out of Lodebar. It's not easy. But, I am coming out in JESUS name. AMEN!!!

Anonymous said...

I heard the Lord speak one word Lodebar so I immediately look up the word.....I'm amaze and yet very grateful. One word to sum up what my eyes gaze upon it was"Beautiful".

Bren said...

Praising the Lord with you all as we leave our Lo Debar's and walk in Victory! Thank you all for taking the time to read and post your sweet comments! Love to you today! - Bren

Deborah said...

This morn while taking a shower, the Holy Spirit whispered 'Lodebar'. I had heard of it before and knew it was mentioned in the Old Testament but could not recall anything in connection so I googled it and your blog came up. It's exactly what I needed today. I pray I will be in a new place soon! Thank you for your ministry and obediance to follow Him. GOD BLESS!!

Anonymous said...

I knew of Lodebar as I shared the story with a sister who eventually came out of her Lodebar while all the time I was in this unfruitful place regarding a certain aspect of my life. Yesterday on my terrace it came to my mind "Get out of Lodebar!" It has been in my spirit since that time and in my morning prayer I asked the Father to help me get out of lodebar. God Bless you for this powerful message.
GiGi

Unknown said...

I had the same experience early morning. I thank the Lord for His Grace.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

I heard the word Lodebar in my spirit yesterday and forgot about it. Then I heard it again in my spirit today and quickly googled it and like others, I was led here. I was so touched by this message because I've been struggling with letting go. I've hurt others, and I've been hurt by others. I'm glad God led me to this message because it's time to leave the bitterness behind now and rise up and walk into a new place.

Unknown said...

Oh my goodness! This word has set me free today! Thank you!!

Anonymous said...

Wow I thought I was going crazy when the words lodebar and succoth were dropped into my spirit during an all night prayer. I knew it was a biblical reference and googled it. I am so glad I did.Clarity has come thank for sharing.
if any has insight to Succoth please share with me. delmadicks@gmail.com

Anonymous said...

I heard a sermon this morning that I didn't quite understand at Lo Debar. I Googled it and found your blog relative to the topic. God guided me. Thank you.

mimi2 said...

Wow. Just wow. I've been hearing the same thing in my spirit for days! Lodebar. I kind of forgot that story, but thank you for your explaination of it ..... It fits my life right now. I am claiming today I am coming out of this desolate place into a new season and place of refuge where the land of milk and honey flow and i want the Lord to show me the way. I'm tired, I can't stand on my own any more. I don't have much, I don't know much. But am believing little is much when God is in it!! Thank you for your inspiring message. Just look at the people you have touched

Unknown said...

As I was getting out of the shower this morning the word Lodebar came to mind. I knew it was a place. I found a reference in 2 Samuel 9. Jonathan's son was only 5 years old when his daddy died. As his nurse tried to save him, she dropped him. He was paralyzed from the waist down. He was taken to Lodebar to hide out. It was a desert place with no pasture or communication. But, the King sent for him and brought him to the palace and restored all that was taken from him. I believe the King is calling me. I believe things are about to change. I believe I'll be dining at the palace soon. I believe everything the enemy has taken is being restored. Today announces the beginning of a glorious new day!

Unknown said...

God just whispered to me Lo Debar this evening. I am coming out of this place because ww are called to greater. In Jesus Name.

Unknown said...

God whispered Lo Debar to me as well. I'm coming out in Jesus name. I am called to greater.

Unknown said...

God whispered Lo Debar to me as well. I'm coming out in Jesus name. I am called to greater.

Unknown said...

God just whispered to me Lo Debar this evening. I am coming out of this place because ww are called to greater. In Jesus Name.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for such an inspirational and empowering message.

Unknown said...

This is why I am bear to!!!Heard the one word!!

Unknown said...

This is why I am bear to!!!Heard the one word!!

Anonymous said...

Our pastor preaches about Lo Debar quite often whenever a new face is in the church on a Sunday morning. There is no grace in his message only the continual face beating and screaming that anyone living in any kind of desert experience is an outlaw and criminal and is there by choice, not by circumstances brought upon them by another. I have read your devotional on this subject not by accident, but because for over a week I prayed and conversed with the Holy Spirit that not everyone is in Lo debar of their own doing, quite often people are abandoned, children abandoned, forced into Lo debar. Mephibosheth woke up every morning to his crippled feet. He heard stories of Saul his grandfather the king, Jonathan his father friend of David the king, and probably wondered at the events of his life and mourned his circumstances. But I did notice that Michir son of emmiel was an Oasis in that particular desert to sustain Mephibosheth and later on to bring sustainable help to King David as King David himself was forced into the wilderness, fleeing from Absolom who wanted to kill him for his throne.
If someone is going to preach Lo debar, Grace must be inserted in the message.
My heart goes out to individuals who do not return to church after being screamed at from the pulpit. Instead of pointing a finger we should extend a hand and a hug. Yes every individual needs to be confronted about sin, but in order to leave the desert place one needs to look up and see the the well of Living water and the One who sees me so we can go on living, much like Hagar who was pushed into her circumstances by Abraham and Sarah. Jacob was visited by God (in his desert) in Luz, and woke up after a dream, erected his stone pillow as a memorial and named that place House of God-Bethel. Jacob became cheerful and walked the 400 miles energetic because God spoke his future, hope and expected end to him. Thank you for this devotional it was on my mind. From Someone Who Is Screamed At Every Sunday For Something She Didn't Do And Needs Hope For Today And A New Tomorrow.

Bren said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Bren said...

Nothing thrills me more than to hear that God is speaking to precious souls through the efforts of our encouragement. The thing about encouragement, is that it works both ways and works its best, when God gets the glory! Thank you sweet friends for taking the time to stop by and visit with me through the written word.... I love each one of you and want nothing more than for you to experience and make contact with the Lord, in any moment that you may be experiencing discouragement. Keep running the race, no matter how hard it becomes and remember; though we are constantly being sleighed, yet will we serve Him. He is cleaning out in us that which keeps us from knowing and walking with Him on a Higher level. "He is worthy, look to Him”!
Love each of you,
-Bren

Anonymous said...

It's been a long hard journey for me in a very dry place. Coming out Lodebar for me means dealing with the death of a love one and because of the hurt I dealt with it in the wrong way. It means learning to forgive myself and accept the grace of God for where I failed him. For a long time, I didn't really believe that God would receive me or want me because of how I handled it. For Instead of fleeing to my father I went to a man that abused me. I was trapped by satan in hiding, filled with hurt and pain. It was the door opened that brought on a lot of other mess! But I one day got a word that Lodebar was not my portion, but he had called me to the Kings table. I was truly amazed at the grace and loving-kindness of my Savior Jesus Christ. Oh, how in awe and wonder I am of him! I am thanking God for taking me from deaths door and restoring me even mentally back to the place where I first met him. Today, I can finally say thank you Lord for my steps out.

Beverly Bennett said...

I thank God for your blog! My sister told me that it was time for me to come out of Lo Debar, because I have been in it too long. I asked her what it was, and she told me to look it up. I did, and the Lord led me here. Now, after reading your blog, I have tears streaming down my face. You could've been writing about me. I'm in so deep, that I feel that even God can't hear me! I have no job because of what I did & haven't been able to find another. I'm about too lose my home over taxes. I have nothing! I thought I was alright, but when you get to the place where you feel God isn't listening, you know something is really wrong. I feel lost & hopeless, with no light at the end of a 3 year long tunnel. I thought I had forgiven myself, but I know now that I haven't. I don't want to be in Lo Debar any more! I can see I've been praying for the wrong thing. I need to pray for God 's grace & mercy to lead me out of this place. Thank you so much. God bless!

Rosetta Cooper said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

I was in Lo Debar for a lot of years. While there I lived and interacted with the other residents there. There are business people there, non believers there and people who you think love a care for you are there. I did not know this place could exist in your heart and mind. As I stepped out on faith to create a new life for me after being separated from my wife for over 7 years. It was then Elohim, Yahweh saw my determination and I got a phone call late last night a true man of GOD invited me for a men's prayer breakfast and the speaker was speaking about"Lo Debar" and after service was over I came home to look up the meaning, and after reading your blog I started crying and thanking GOD for sending for me to come out of Lo Debar. It was my fear and negative thinking that guided me to this place,from here on until GOD calls me home I will fight the good fight of faith and stay out of Lo Debar. I Thank Yahweh and Yahsuhua the Messiah for you Bren, and for the man who invited me to the prayer breakfast and the speaker. A giant weight has been lifted off of me. Love you............ William

Unknown said...

I was in Lo Debar for a lot of years. While there I lived and interacted with the other residents there. There are business people there, non believers there and people who you think love a care for you are there. I did not know this place could exist in your heart and mind. As I stepped out on faith to create a new life for me after being separated from my wife for over 7 years. It was then Elohim, Yahweh saw my determination and I got a phone call late last night a true man of GOD invited me for a men's prayer breakfast and the speaker was speaking about"Lo Debar" and after service was over I came home to look up the meaning, and after reading your blog I started crying and thanking GOD for sending for me to come out of Lo Debar. It was my fear and negative thinking that guided me to this place,from here on until GOD calls me home I will fight the good fight of faith and stay out of Lo Debar. I Thank Yahweh and Yahsuhua the Messiah for you Bren, and for the man who invited me to the prayer breakfast and the speaker. A giant weight has been lifted off of me. Love you............ William

Anonymous said...

I stumbled upon this blog after hearing an online sermon about this yesterday. I goggled LoDebar in hopes of getting a better understanding of the scriptures. I have been in church since I was a kid but dont ever recall hearing about this story. The story stuck with me. I have been suffering with depression and anxiety for the past 4 years. a cancer diagnosis, bad marriage, no job or financial stability, two kids in diapers sent me back to my home town. A place I thought would embrace me in a time of great fear, physical/emotional pain and need for support. Instead I have felt exiled, ridiculed, abandoned by people I thought loved me. People whom I have been there for over the years in countless ways. With a dr level degree I have only been able to sustain myself on a part-time self-employment income and public assistance. I'm exhausted and overwhelmed daily. I'm tired of fighting and don't know how to move from this place. My pain and suffering seems invisible to many. Closest family and friends seem to blame me for according to them depression or anxiety is self-induced and not a real "problem". The hurt is debilitating. I worry about my kids. If something happens to me I feel they have no one to turn to. I have relatives who live less than 2 miles from me who never visit or even inquire about well-being of my children and I. The things said and done when I've asked for help devastating. No compassion or understanding. I've lashed out verbally in anger and hurt at their criticism and judgments and thus I am to blame even more for my own misery.

I heard a lady randomly praying on facebook about the anxiety and frustration of waiting and asking God for the next move. She also mentioned the word Lo Debar. I don't know what to do in what order or where to turn. I'm tired of medication. I'm tired of suffering. My faith is even wavering, for I've experienced the most hurt from "so-called" Christians. I'm tired of resume submissions that go unnoticed or the thank you but no thank you for your job submission, we've gone with another candidate. Or you're over-qualified why do you want this job? I have not been able to get licensing in my profession in my current state due to lack of financial support or support with the kids to balance, working, studying and care for 2 small kids. I've failed the examination twice. I've been a high-achiever, responsible and self-sustaining person my entire life. The debt of the marriage, illness, kids and insufficient income for daily living feels like I'm drowning/suffocating daily.

I do believe I am in such a place of Lo Debar and need a hand of grace to help pull my kids and I back to a place of peace, restoration and stability. I dont know what it feels like not to feel broken, pain, and anxiety.

Bren said...

To my Anonymous Friend who feels broken, full of pain, anxiety and totally exhausted:


Your sadness brought on by your disappointments have not gone unnoticed by the Lord. However, for you to move on means that you must meet them as they are, just that... disappointments! When you begin to see them as God sees them they will release their hold on your life that has you in a bind and lords control over you. To move on, means that you will have to move through them in order to get to that place that your heart longs to be. You can learn to change those points and places of discouragements, by seeing them as God sees them, not how they may appear to you, to be. The Bible tells the child of God to walk by faith and not by sight.
SO, don't walk in what your eyes see going on in your circumstances but walk in what you know that those circumstance can do for you. They can cause you to live in disappointment or you can cause them to propel you to a higher spiritual place.
My relationship with God has grown its deepest in severe pain, loss and my personal suffering through trials similar to your own that almost shut me down.
Your feelings are legitimate human experiences and I believe according to God’s Word that there is always some meaningful, for us to be learned in our times of suffering, especially, if our suffering causes us to run to the One who loves us the most, even if we do feel that He is the farthest away from us, during our hard times. God is not absent during His silence in our life, but waiting for us to make the right move towards running to Him. What is He asking of you sweet friend? To surrender your life to Him? Find you a Bible believing church that teaches the Word of God in Truth and begin going and taking your loved ones? There is not perfect church but there are some great ones and God will lead you to the right one if your heart is sincere in doing things God's way.
Only you can answer those questions yourselves on the basis of where you are. However, accepting your suffering is the first step to changing it, and as you do you will find some purpose for it and begin to move beyond it. But your change and peace will only come when you stand up to it for all it’s worth… and hold true to the fact that if you are in fact in Christ, you can do all things through He that strengthens you! Or, maybe you need to simply pray and ask Christ to come into your life and ask forgiveness and be restored to God and be made whole. The only way that any of us can find answers from God is to seek Him on His terms. Ask Him today to show you the way and if your heart is sincere, you will find Him and in finding Him, you will find your way through all those troubles. Loving you dearly, -Bren

Anonymous said...

Each week I pray for God to give me the message He wants me to deliver to my next Sunday School class. This morning I was given the word "Lodebar". I couldn't remember many details, so I Googled it and your blog was one of the results.


Thank you for your explanation and message. I plan to use it as part of my research, alongside my study Bible, for the lesson I will present on Sunday morning. My class is 6th - 8th grade students.


God bless you.

Unknown said...

Thank you so much for this message..It describes perfectly where I'm at now.So glad I stumbled across this!God bless

Unknown said...

Very well spoken

Anonymous said...

I thank the Lord that I came across this devotional. The Lord had spoken to me this morning "It's time for you to come out of Lodebar...." I had heard that before, but I wasn't exactly sure where to find it in the Bible. I love the way the Word is demonstrated in this Bible story and the details. The Lord had already spoken to me about Mephibosheth a while back; I totally forgot that this is the place where he dwelled. The season where I had been over the last 6 months has been a desolate and disappointing place and the Lord is letting me know that it is time for me to come out! Thank You So Much! Awesome Word....

Anonymous said...

What's going on, I too was awoken in the night with one word "Lo Debar". I woke enough to say what? Again I heard Lo Debar in my spirit very clear. I had not ever studied the passage that I can remember in the Bible and had not ever heard a message or sermon on it. I got up in the middle of the night and looked it up in my Bible topical index and read the scriptures. Later the next day goodled it and was directed to several sermons or messages on it. I have very much been in Le DeBar and it had been on my heart that it was so unfair for people to think they know about you by your circumstances, but don't know that you might not have done anything wrong. On top of being betrayed, etc. whatever by someone else, it is so painful to think know one understands you didn't do anything wrong. I do not like to think or talk like a victim, so that leaves you keeping a distance so you don't have to talk about it. I had a feeling that I was being allowed to be here kind of in a holding pattern for a reason, but all signs are that I will be led out now or should climb out with His help. I will be in prayer for wisdom and knowledge as always, and in the meantime, lets be nice to all, not knowing really what may cause them to be in Lo Debar. How odd that He is giving so many that word to study. Truly supernatural. Thanks for your posting this message.

Anonymous said...

All these years later and your blog is still out there, Praise God. Thank you for listening to the Lord and sharing this, as many of us are or were in Lo Debar. I had never heard that word until the Lord told my husband he was taking us out of there (Lo Debar) and into Judah.
Thank you again for explaining what Lo Debar is and the significance of the term.

Laurie Weathersbee said...

So very helpful. Thank you.

Unknown said...

This is April 2,2019- Tuesday
& For the last 2 days this word
Lo-Debar- I have clearly heard the Lord speak clearly this
"Lo-Debar"...& I googled & that is how I was lead to U 💝⭐🦅

Bren said...

I am not sure why God has used this devotion in the way that He has chosen, to speak to the hearts that He has drawn to it. Yet, it never seems to amaze me that He continues to speak to His people in what appears to be the oddest of ways. May we never forget that God is always calling us to a higher place and away from the things that keep us from His blessings. Love to you all and thanks for taking the time to read these devotions and respond kindly to them!
-Bren

Unknown said...

I just had a dream where I visited my mother and sister in Lodabur and it was like a living hell. When I awoke I was anger and sad about the whole experience then Holy Spirit spoke to me the word "Lo Dabur. Your post helped me make some sense out of my dream. God bless you and your family.

WHAT SIN DOES IN A BELIEVER'S LIFE - PART 2

Romans 6 tells every Christian very clearly how they should live after they receive Christ into their lives. ”What shall we say then? Shall ...