Wednesday, December 19, 2012

THE PAIN OF REGRET



A good definition for regret would be a personal dislike for a past behavior, act or choice that we may have made without seeking wisdom or possibly an unguided and willful decision made in haste or simply spite to another. It can be very painful to look back on those choices through the lens of our regrets and feel the weight of those wrong choices. It is then that we spin our wheels parked on the pavement of regret and haunted by what seems to be the backlash of torment in our minds of “what if”, “if only” and “I should’ves”. In my life I am still learning that short term pain oftentimes produce long term gain, if I will discipline myself in a matter to wait. The scripture says this about waiting, “But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint.” Isaiah 40:31. You see our present choices will determine our future rewards. There is no escaping that fact.
 
The Bible warns that sin is crouching at our door in Genesis 4:7. The pull of sin is not picky, it cares not what wrong choice we make only that we choose to do the wrong thing. It is an invader that marches through our lives searching for an open door to enter. Those open doors can even be small cracks that we have started to open up by contemplating wrong choices. If we are not careful like the scripture says it will come in, take hold of us and even rule over us.  I John 5:17 says that all wrongdoing is sin. Through my years of counseling and from my own experience, I can assure you of this; while you may not die over a certain sin, the repercussions from that sin can cause such aguish in your heart and mind, that one may even wish for death. Yet death is not the answer for our pain or regrets.
 
For you see Christ is the answer. For he bore all our sin and takes away our regrets and sadness if we will truly seek Him on His terms, not ours! If it were possible for me to beg you to turn to Christ for I am persuaded that He is able to keep that which you commit to Him, I would. But, I know that all the begging in the world cannot persuade folks to come to Christ and be committed to Him. Yet in my love for you, knowing that there is power to help you overcome your situation, I will continue to make the effort to reach out and help folks in the only way that I know that truly works. In Christ we do not have to hold on to regret, and it matters not what others may think of us, for the peace that He gives us surpasses any logic that man offers and any judgment that man may make towards us. The only thing that does matter is that we learn from our mistakes and move forward with hope, making great effort to live a life that shows others the way to God. God Bless your upcoming New Year! May you find Him in the midst of all your struggles.

Loving on you today,
Bren

No comments:

WHAT SIN DOES IN A BELIEVER'S LIFE - PART 2

Romans 6 tells every Christian very clearly how they should live after they receive Christ into their lives. ”What shall we say then? Shall ...