Tuesday, September 18, 2012

YOU KNOW THAT CHURCH IS FULL OF HYPOCRITES, DON'T YOU?


 
“Why do you go to Church all the time and make your kids go?”, a friend ask me one time. Oddly, her question kind of startled me. I guess I was startled because someone would even ask me that question. The way that she had approached me with it was not to ask me because she wanted to know for her own personal spiritual quest, but because of her personal reasons, she chose to be a little sarcastic. I know this because she followed her question with this comment, “You know that churches are full of hypocrites don’t you?”. At that comment, I busted out laughing, but she did not think it was very funny! As a matter of fact, she insisted that she chose to worship God at home and in her car because she did not want to be a part of, a bunch of hypocrites who claimed to be Christians. Well, I must tell you that as hard as I tried to hold back, I just plunged right in with this comment. “Well sister”, I said, “If you do not go to church because it is full of hypocrites, then you are disobeying the Word of God and you are no different than the hypocrites that attend church”, “What” she said, “I don’t sit around talking about other people and then go to church, thinking that God is going to bless me”. In love I responded to her by saying, “You are right that God will not bless a mouth that speaks ill will of others, but sister may I tell you that if you are a child of God and you neglect the fellowship of other believers, then you are deliberately disobeying the Word of God and he will not bless that either!”. As we continued talking about this issue, I shared with her some things that I myself had learned about what God expects of us and how I am no better than anyone else; only saved and covered by His grace which enables me to live for and serve Him the way that He commands in scripture to do so. He also enables me to have the power to love those that claim the name of Christ but by their lifestyles, do not live it.

There is a parable in the scripture that refers to exactly what my friend was talking about in Matthew 13:24-30, The parable states  that,  the kingdom of heaven is likened unto a man which sowed good seed in his field. But while men slept, his enemy came and sowed tares among the wheat, and went his way. But when the blade was sprung up, and brought forth fruit, then appeared the tares also. So the servants of the householder came and said unto him, Sir, didst not thou sow good seed in thy field? From whence then, hath it tares? He said unto them, An enemy hath done this. The servants said unto him, Wilt thou then that we go and gather them up?  But he said, Nay, lest while ye gather up the tares, ye root up also the wheat with them. Let both grow together until the harvest and in the time of harvest I will say to the reapers, Gather ye together first the tares, and bind them in bundles to burn them, but gather the wheat into my barn."
 
You see, Jesus was saying to them that the wheat are the true believers, the enemy is the devil who places his children amongst the true believers for his evil purpose. Those that are not of the household of faith are mere counterfeit Christians. If we tried in our own strength and wisdom to separate the two, we would end up hurting those that belong to God, because even though we may be saved, we are not perfect; and those that attend church, but are not real believers, can act like they are. However, our spiritual fruit should always distinguish us from those that are not true believers and may I tell you that God will hold us each accountable for every word and deed that we commit. I cannot recall who said this, but I like to remember it whenever the temptations come to be frustrated with those that I may be attending church alongside that God refers to as the tares in the church, it is simply, “although the tares hinder the wheat, yet they make it the more beautiful to behold”. You see if the true believer is living like he ought, then the world can see the “real thing” and be able to smell the sweet aroma of the living Savior and feel the kindness that He exhibits in their lives. They walk in true love and forgiveness. God’s word tells us that the World will know us by our love for one another. In the end God’s angels will separate the true wheat from the tares in the Church, but for now, we have but one job and that is to love others, forgive seven fold and stay steadfast in our walk with Christ and do not shrink back.

In my response to my friend’s comment about worshiping God at home and in the car, I said this, “You sure can do that and you should, because there is no place that we can be that we cannot reach God nor He us. But His word is clear in that we are not to forsake the assembling of ourselves together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another, and all the more as you see the day drawing near.” Hebrews 10:25”. If we are in the habit of forsaking the assembling, I can assure you that God does not agree with our reasons no matter what they may be, if they are in direct violation of His word. There are times when someone may not have transportation, then they are to ask for help. There are times that health and age may hinder someone’s attendance, and if so, they are to take that to the Lord and see what His answers may be for them. But I can assure you that if we have developed a habit and our reasons for neglecting the assembling of ourselves with other believers are shallow and born in our flesh, then we stand without excuse.  In closing I say this, I rejoice with those who said to me, “Let us go to the house of the Lord”. Psalm 122:1
 
Loving You Today,
Bren

No comments:

WHAT SIN DOES IN A BELIEVER'S LIFE - PART 2

Romans 6 tells every Christian very clearly how they should live after they receive Christ into their lives. ”What shall we say then? Shall ...