Tuesday, November 2, 2010

WALKING ON DRY WATER

I use to find it hard to believe that after the Israelites walked on dry land between two walls made of water to safe passage from Pharaohs’ evil and heavy hand, and ate sweet manna that was brought to them by birds from God, to keep them from starving in the wilderness that in the end, they grumbled and complained about it and doubted what God would do for them and with their future. Yet, I must tell you that I have done the very same thing. I have seen God lead me through waves of despair, protection from the long hand of my enemy the devil, and provide me the spiritual nourishment to sustain me in moments of despair…. only to succumb in other times, to doubt, grumbling and weak faith myself.

I know what it is like to walk on dry land that only moments before were wet with water... if I would keep my eyes on Jesus. But for some days, I must tell you that, why I feel like saying “depart from me Lord, for I am a sinner and don’t deserve your constant pardon”, I continue to be shocked at my attitude and reaction in those times and circumstances where I doubt and grumble and I sink when I see the waves coming at me and feel my sandals getting wet from the water at my feet. I know of someone else that struggled like that, his name was Peter; and through his own life’s testimony I can see how and why I sink in my walk with trusting Christ sometimes.

One night, in Matthew 14:27-31 the disciples were out in a boat after Jesus sent them ahead while He went to pray by Himself. Later that night, the disciples saw Jesus walking on the lake. They thought He was a ghost and became terrified. Jesus said to them, “Take courage! It is I, don’t be afraid.”. Peter replied to the Lord, “If it’s You, tell me to come to You on the water.” Jesus told him to come. Peter got out of the boat and walked on the water towards Jesus. Then Peter saw the wind and the waves and became afraid. Starting to sink, Peter cried out, Lord! Save me!” Jesus reached out his hand and caught him. “You of little faith,” he said, “why did you doubt me?”.

That is a verse that has repeated itself many times in my mind over the years when I doubt God and He still comes through for me….”O Bren why did you doubt Me?”, I hear Him say. If I had a penny for every time that the Lord proved Himself real to me, I would be a wealthy woman. Yet, even though I know what I know, I still doubt at times. Paul himself said in Romans 7:22-25 For in my inner being I delight in God’s law; but I see another law at work in me, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within me. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body that is subject to death? Thanks be to God, who delivers me through Jesus Christ our Lord! Paul struggled too….as did every person in the scriptures. Yet, Paul ended up saying what we all must say as believers…. Thanks be to God, who delivers us through Jesus Christ our Lord!

You see as Jesus reached out His hand to Peter to pull him back up to where he had been (already walking on the water), so He reaches out to us as our faith folds under our storms. What matters the most is that we grow our faith. Jesus Himself said to Peter….”you of little faith, why do you doubt me?”. Peter began to sink because he doubted Jesus by taking his eyes off Jesus and looking at the waves.

Peter was a fisherman, he was experienced in storms and he knew that those waves given the right one, could take him out and that was what broke his concentration. But, the best part about this story is that Peter did a most significant thing that saved him, or brought him back up as soon as he realized he was sinking and that was, he cried out to Jesus… And that showed that little bit of faith that Jesus was talking about. Remember, he was walking on the water at first….he only began to sink when he took his eyes off His destination at that point. Jesus had said, o ye of little faith not "no" faith.

Remember the scripture that talks about …if you have the faith, the size of a mustard seed, you could say to the mountain be removed and it would be removed….that is so reflected here….Peter had faith, that is how he began the walk on water, he just succumbed to his circumstances and took his eyes off his help. That is why Jesus said…ye of little faith. But I can assure you that every time (and it happened many times where Peter had weak or little faith) that Jesus rebuked Peter, he became a little stronger…. for the next time.

Don’t beat yourself up when your faith is weak at some points…because there are more than likely going to be times when your faith is tempted as you step out and walk on water towards Jesus….and if you begin to sink….just realize that you need to refocus on your destination…and take His hand, because He is reaching out to you, to lift you back up to where He is. The water is dry there, and the waves can not touch you!

Walk to finish....love you so much!
Bren

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I like this!

WHAT SIN DOES IN A BELIEVER'S LIFE - PART 2

Romans 6 tells every Christian very clearly how they should live after they receive Christ into their lives. ”What shall we say then? Shall ...