Monday, August 2, 2010

THE PURPOSE OF TEMPTATION


A few years ago when I was living in an area that was and still is growing by leaps and bounds...new construction was all around Desoto County. In hopes to improve the current traffic situation, some local developers had extended a road near my house. However, it had not been opend at that point and was blocked off to local traffic.

It appeared as you view the road from the traffic light that it was finished, but that they had just not opened it to traffic yet. One day as I was driving to work, I saw the police pulling someone over who attempted to take the new road anyway! I'm not sure if they were ticketed or just warned. All I know was that I had not planned to take the road as a short cut even though it was tempting!

The next morning as I was going to work, a man in front of me at the traffic light decided to take that road too. But as I watched him scurry down the road, I thought to myself..."I bet he is trying to get to I-55 by bypassing Bullfrog corner", (a very active intersection, that everyone in Desoto County hates). As I watched him drive down that brand new road, I noticed that he slowed down and began to sway back and forth as if he were trying to find a way to turn around; almost as if he had decided that he did not want to go that way after all. Unfortunately, I had to make my turn and was unable to see the outcome of this poor fellow's situation. As I drove off, the Lord gave me a bit of spiritual insight as to what happens when we, like that poor fellow, decide to take a short cut or are lured by a road that appears to be paved with good intentions.

I was reminded how temptation works the same way in our lives. The purpose of temptation is really two-fold. First and foremost it is to entice us to take a road that leads to separation. Separation being, separated from the perfect will of God for our lives. As Christians, we are to strive to be Christ-like in all our actions. However, every now and then a road appears before us as if to draw us away from the purpose of our walk, service and commitment to Christ.

That road will always "appear" to be enticing; because that is the bait that satan uses to draw our focus and attention off the course that we are on. Never think for a moment that satan does not know your weaknesses, because he does; even for the most spiritual minded people. When he appeared to Jesus in the dessert, he tempted Jesus with the temptations that a King might be tempted with....appealing to His royalty and Who Jesus was. Because of Jesus' origin satan understood Jesus' heart and the position that He would take regarding sin and satan also understands ours.

If he cannot succeed in causing us to sin, then the other purpose is to keep us in a state of wondering. For the Jews, that state continued for many years. The purpose of wondering or being in a state of "preoccupied thinking" is to keep us off track as much as possible. Any time that our thoughts are on taking a road that is surrounded by barriers and blinking lights, we need to be aware that temptation, while it might not overtake us at the moment, can preoccupy our thoughts to the point that.... like the man on the road...after he had taken it decided; maybe he should have gone the long way around.... because, while it is more time consuming, the outcome would have been better. You could tell that he thought that, by the way he was driving and struggling to find a way back to the red-light.

If we will tell the devil that he has no place because we are choosing to do things God's way and use God's Word as a weapon and authority against him as Jesus did, then he will flee from us and leave us alone. The good news regarding temptation ....(if you are thinking about taking a wrong road) is that as long as it is only a thought, then is not sin....that is temptation. However, giving place to the temptation, by dwelling on it and wondering around in your thought pattern is!

The man in that truck was trying so hard to find a way back. While I was unable to see if he did make it or not, I trust that he repented of breaking the law, and was able to get his truck turned around, and got out of there. The key here is "Way Out"! With God we have a way out....it's called confession and repenting (turning away). It only takes a single choice to do it. Just make up our mind to do the right thing and do it! Then God shows us a most wonderful way of escape!

Man, is He good or what! I don't know about you but I am so thankful .....that for every sin, God has made a way of escape the scripture says...and I am so glad He did we just have to be willing to go His way! Life is good and Jesus is real! Have a wonderful, wonderful day! Put on some praise music and start rejoicing allowing God to inhabit your Praise!

I love you and want you to have a wonderful week!
Bren

No comments:

WHAT SIN DOES IN A BELIEVER'S LIFE - PART 2

Romans 6 tells every Christian very clearly how they should live after they receive Christ into their lives. ”What shall we say then? Shall ...